Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Whatcha readin'?

(Props to my pal Darren for giving me the idea for this post)

So here's my personal current reading sitch: I'm just about done with Jitterbug Perfume (Tom Robbins), then I've got Even Cowgirls Get The Blues (same), and then I'll have plowed through all my current crop of un-read books (including re-reads of Slaughterhouse Five and Breakfast of Champions*) -- oddly enough, since I now spend 40-60 minutes on a bus each day, I can read me a mess o' books, lately. Next up after the last Robbins book, I'm going to go through and read the few Vonnegut books I either read once a LONG time ago or neglected to read (Jailbird, Sirens of Titan, Bluebeard, and one more I'm forgetting at the moment).

THEN I've got to find a few new(to me) authors and give 'em a spin. I'm thinking of starting w/ Bukowski -- any fans out there who can point me at a good starter? Failing that, what suggestions do you have for someone who loves Vonnegut and Robbins and Dr. Thompson, but also likes T.S. Elliot and Roald Dahl and JK Rowling? No, I'm not necessarily a connoisseur - I do know what I like, though.

I figure I might as well ride this wave of literary input as far as it'll take me -- I've got a lot of music that needs lyrics. Can't hurt.




*Did anyone else know they made a movie of this -- starring Bruce Willis, no less -- in 1999? I'ma have to NetFlix that shit to see just how badly it translates.

6 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger Elise said...

How are you with silly? Do you like silly, British stuff for smart people? Like, did you like Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy? If you like that kind of stuff, I HIGHLY recommend anything by Jasper Fforde.

Another author you can't go far wrong with is Michael Chabon. If you haven't read it yet, The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay is really wonderful stuff.

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I think you'd really like "Through the Arc of the Rainforest" by Karen Tei Yamashita. The entire story is told from the point of view of a blue plastic ball that hoovers a few inches in front of a man's forehead. Oh, and there is a three breasted woman in the story.

Also, I suspect you'd really enjoy Marquez and Nabakov.

 
At 10:36 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Man, get yourself some Joyce.

 
At 7:42 PM, Blogger C \m/ K said...

Thanks to Elise and Rebecca for the recommendations.

Matt, don't even go there.

 
At 11:36 PM, Blogger Matt said...

I'm doing "Kitchen Confidential" via audio book -- I think you would like it.

 
At 11:05 PM, Blogger mk said...

So I'm almost a year late, have you started on Bukowski yet? Hollywood or Post Office, I'd say.

(Dels introduced us briefly at Santaland on Wednesday, sitting out at the tables. Good show.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home