Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The HSO's Bands You Should Love -- Legends Edition! The Posies.


There are HSO BYSL editions that invite you, the reader, to "enjoy - or not, your choice". This isn't one of them. Don't think of it as an installment of "Bands You Should Love"; think of it as an installment of "Bands You Should Love And If You Don't Love Them You're A Fucking Moron - Seriously, Do Your Ears Even Work? I Hope You Die." Or something.

ahem.

So anyway, The Posies. Hard to determine when to start with these guys...

**EXCESSIVE VERBOSITY ALERT**THIS SHIT IS GONNA RAMBLE...***

The Posies are a band that I got into on almost the ground floor. Back in 1991 I was flipping though the cut-out bin @ Apple Tree Records (I SO wanted to work there, back then -- dear God, I wanted it so bad I could fucking taste it -- I digress, sorry) and I saw this goofy looking CD cover that, for some reason, intrigued me. Considering it was, I think, 6 bucks, I figured that was reason enough to buy it. That was Dear 23. When I actually bothered to listen to what I'd so capriciously bought, I was mildly... changed, I guess -- something about it gnawed at me, and I found myself listening to it obsessively and going back and forth between which track was the best, all that shit. But still, there was something about it that was a little too... mannered, or something. I determined that it was at least a really damn good record and I hoped that they made another one at some point.

I didn't so much pay attention to the fact that the label was DGC; if I had, I wouldn't have bothered worrying about a follow up.

And then it came -- Frosting On The Beater. I was waiting for this one, and it kicked my ass good and hard from the get-go. As much as I loved Nirvana and the punk stuff I was into at the time, I still had this secret but abiding love for good pop songs -- I can't resist them; never could. It was all good, but one song in particular just kicked my arse right in: Definite Door. It was all I wanted in a song -- the guitars were beyond cool, it was epic in scale, it stunk with pop sensibility and infectious melody, and at the same time it beat you about the head and shoulders with sonic aggression. This song didn't want to be my friend; it wanted to buy my town and then move other, cooler people in to be its friends -- and I was willing to sell. The whole record is gold, but this one is my personal favorite, by far.

Then I waited -- I listened to Dear 23 and I listened to Frosting On The Beater. I saw my own music swing from simple-on-purpose punk to something striving to attain a sense of the songwriting ability like those dudes in The Posies. I had a lot to learn and a lot to discover; and for a bundle of reasons not worth listing here, Frosting On The Beater was a major catalyst in my monk-like obsession on learning that lot of stuff in the mid-90s. I found myself without a band and suddenly free to try out as many pussy pop ideas as I wanted to -- and baby, I did that shit up. I mean, Hüsker Dü had hinted at the possibility of being loud, fast, and tuneful, and Nirvana took that one step further, but -- to me, at least -- The Posies took the synthesis to its logical conclusion. And I wanted to do that, too.

And then, as if out of a puff of pot smoke much like the one that produced the shit up there, there was Amazing Disgrace. See, unlike a lot of other Posies fans, I always thought they could get a little harder-edged -- or perhaps it's better to say that I hoped they would, since I was still embroiled in my own personal debate about whether trying to write pretty songs was a sin; I just thought it would be cool. And they damn well did it! It delivered a full boat of goodness, but "Grant Hart" just about killed me. It was truly The Shit™.

After that, they got booted from DGC because they weren't enough of a cash cow, even though the real problem was that DCG never really invested in them -- they had the potential for a real hit in "Dream All Day" if they'd have bothered to follow up, and several songs on that record would have been good follow-up singles. Same with Amazing Disgrace -- "Ontario" and "Hate Song" could have sold big-time with a little support.

I'm not going to drag you lot through every single Posies release -- you've got more than enough at this point to start your own search if you're interested (and if you're not, again: If you don't love them you're a fucking moron -- seriously, do your ears even work? I hope you die).

The bottom line is that The Posies are a band that you should love. So do it, already -- love them.

1 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Dave4815162342 said...

Wow. Thanks for posting that. The Posies were a big part of my musical life too.

When I was fresh out of college and teaching guitar lessons in a music store in Bellingham WA, there was this little pimply-faced 13 year old kid with thick glasses named Jon Auer. He wore braces and a retainer and used to spend 90% of his free time sitting in the store playing guitar through the store's amps. He was sort of this freak of nature - he could play note-for-note Randy Rhodes solos or cop the most intricate Van Halen lick. He had huge hands and fingers for his age and had played cello or violin for a few years before picking up the guitar a year or so earlier. He was a total metal head and his dad helped him put together a recording studio in his basement.

I sort of lost track of Jon when I quit teaching at the store but years later I got a job at an indie record store chain out of Seattle called Cellophane Square and found a used blue vinyl album called "Failure" by the Posies, which was Jon and his high school friend Ken Stringfellow messing around writing and recording songs in Jon's basement and doing all the vocals and instruments. At first, it wasn't really my cup of tea - and it was LIGHT YEARS away from Van Halen or Rhodes. But suddenly they were signed to a record label called Pop Llama records and the Seattle music magazine The Rocket flaunted them as one of Seattle's favorite local bands.

I listened to it and it was mostly about the vocal harmonies and the lyrics, and the melodies were oh so catchy. It was very 60's folk-rock sounding, like The Hollies or Everly Bros or something. Again, I was more of a 80's rocker with some classical training so it wasn't exactly my thing but I totally appreciated it and over time, especially later in life now that I myself am attempting to write lyrics and sing. I've come to appreciate how brilliant those kids were, and how amazing that very first album was.

Then came Dear 23, Rolling Stone reviews, Frosting on the Beater, MTV, Ringo Starr covering one of their songs on one of his solo albums, the Big Star reunion thing, Peter Buck, and all that happened while I was working at Cellophane Square.

I finally got to see Jon again when the Posies came to play at some acoustic in-store performances, and it was very, very cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home